12 June 2008

The beginning of the end...

Hello again.
This may or may not be my last post while I am in Africa but since I haven't written even half of my misadventures in here then when I'm back in the states I'll probably start again and attempt to make some swnse of the gibberish written in my journal. Meh.

Anyways, tomorrow is the start of my last week in South Africa and it comes with very mixed feelings. On one hand I can't wait to see everyone and show them my pictures because Karongwe has been an amazing experience and I wish I could have had all the amigos from home along with me. Then again, I have come to think of this place as home and will be sad to think that when I wake up at 0400hrs that it is not to go off in search for the lion pride or leopard that may or may not have escaped last night. I'm not even sure how I'll sleep upon my return when I don't have the hyenas and jackal calls lulling me to sleep and the "go away" grey lorrie to wake me up in the mornings. I imagine that it'll take a bit of adjusting to the noises of cars or glare of street lamps in the evening before I feel once more at home with "modern" living. (elecricity all the time?!? weird!)
Hopefully during this last week the leopard I have been talking about will be darted because I would really like to pet him before I go. That is pretty much the only thing I have unfinished here as I have seen (and gotten some amazing photos) of all the animals, both adults and cubs.
... and while I think it would be awesome to be "mock charged" at by an elephant or cheetah, my group has not had the good fortune (misfortune?) to wittness such events and have instead prided ourselves on getting the most sightings of the big male lion Zero in his mating endevours of Lisa. Poor girl.
We shall see what the week to come brings.
Right now the entire camp is pretty empty, majority of people sleeping off last night's partying at the pub "N the boss" (in the bush). As true to my fashion I remained sober (with only a few rum and cokes thrown in) and yet still joined the rest of the girls (and some of the staff) on the top of the bar for the "CROC"... which is where you dance on the bar then the bartender lifts you up by your ankles so you can reach the huge 15 ft mounted croc. Scary like all mad but it needed to be done. "No regrets, no fear" seems to be the theme of this trip for many here at Karongwe. Last night we also celebrated Shannon's (my roomie and best amiga here... who goes to VT, sweet!)21st birthday which I think encouraged many people to act as though it was theirs as well. All in all, it resulted in a fun night with many pictures being shared this morning that only a select few remembered being taken in the first place.
Ok, I have to run now because some other people wish to use the internet before the battery runs out.
I look forward to seeing you all in a little over a week and hopefully I'll get around to updating all the in between bits you haven't heard about yet when I get home.
All my love from the bush,
Mia

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Hopefully during this last week the leopard I have been talking about will be darted because I would really like to pet him before I go."

Really, that's only a sentence I would expect from you.

I know you'll miss it there, but come home! I'm stoked to see pics :)

Laura